February 20, 2014

garlic butter shrimp - hawaii style


Consider this a tribute to my upcoming trip to Hawaii in a few days -- the sand, the sun, the air, everything. I love it all. There's just something about being there. No matter how many dozen times I've been, or which island I'm on, it always gives me one of the best feelings in the world. The only way to explain it is that I was born in the wrong place, I'm a total island girl at heart. If you've been to Hawaii you've experienced all the wonderful things it offers, and hopefully have also gotten to experience it's food (there's so much to eat!). One of the things that is a must do while in Hawaii is visit a shrimp truck (see my favorite one). Oahu has plenty of them... imagine stopping by a truck after a playful swim in the Pacific eating the garlicky, salty goodness with a lump or two of rice, it's nearly perfection. Never been to Hawaii? No problem! Try out this easy recipe and throw on some Hawaiian tunes and you'll be transported.

Garlic Butter Shrimp  (This recipe is by no means healthy, but I like to try and cut the butter with some EVOO to make it a tad bit healthier)

A full bulb and a half of garlic, minced
3 1/2 tsp. of butter
1 1/2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
1/4 tsp. salt
1 lb. jumbo de-veined shrimp

Add butter and EVOO to 13" pan and heat on low. Add minced garlic and stir on low heat for 10-15 minutes or until the garlic has turned a little past golden in color (careful, don't burn it!). Add in the salt, then the shrimp and cook until all shrimp are cooked (in this step the garlic will turn darker in color). Serve hot alongside your favorite starch, and don't forget to add the little bits of sauteed garlic which are one of the best parts. I also like to add some freshness so a side salad or some slices of tomato, pineapple, or mango go well with it too. Enjoy, it's so ono!

No comments:

Post a Comment